REDISCOVERING HISTORY

Structural stabilization and researching the story of this 1742 house, now owned by the South Kent School, have been central to its on-going restoration.

 

With maintaining the house’s integrity and historic fabric as a central priority, timber frame sills were repaired and replaced in-kind, and the stone foundation and flooring systems were rebuilt. Two of the three deteriorating additions were removed, bringing the building closer to its “lean-to-style” beginnings, while continuing to develop a plan for phased restoration of other sections of the structure. Using evidence from existing paint profiles and nail holes, we were able to communicate the likely appearance of the original “buttery,” or pantry, through artistic renderings and interpretive description.